[lbo-talk] pansy power

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 1 07:25:02 PST 2009

When I was a boy, I read the strip "Pansy Potter, the strong man's daughter" (it rhymes in Aberdeen, where most of the British funnies were made). It was in the Sparky, I think. Pansy would be dismissed as useless by some boys or men, and then end up bending the steel lampost over, or some similar superhuman exercise of strength, thereby ridiculing her scoffers, usually by mistake or out of naivety, rather than ill-will. She looked a bit like Dennis the Menace (UK version), with a black and red striped jumper, I think.