[lbo-talk] The myth of homophobia (was Pansy Power)

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sun Mar 1 16:43:18 PST 2009

My 15 second analysis is that homophobia is simultaneously psychological and social, and I agree to dwell on the psychological is a reductionist depoliticization. The article made me think of the imperative of individualized consumption and waste in capitalist culture that follows from the conventional way of being fruitful and multiplying. I'd add that hostility to gays is also rooted in the need to subjugate women and maintain oppressive gender roles.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of James Heartfield Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 3:54 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] The myth of homophobia (was Pansy Power)

I thought Carrol's explication of the meaning of Marx's epigram 'The anatomy of man is the key to the anatomy of the ape' was very good. But just to go one further, we could ask not just whether homophobia existed in past eras, but also whether it exists today. My friend Pete Ray wrote this seventeen years ago, arguing that homphobia is itself a myth, because it takes a

social force and turns it into a psychological reaction:

The myth of homophobia Peter Ray examines why there is such hostility to homosexuals