[lbo-talk] Now James Baker comes out in favour of pruning financial system

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 21:35:58 PST 2009

Next, we should divide the banks into three groups: the healthy, the hopeless and the needy. Leave the healthy alone and quickly close the hopeless. The needy should be reorganised and recapitalised, preferably through private investment or debt-to-equity swaps but, if necessary, through public funds. It is time for triage.

This seems to be the most sensible argument that's going on in Ireland at the moment and because of that I agree with it. But, in saying that, I'm suspicious of it for this very reason: It works. It's global. It understands what you don't...

I don't just mean that this in an arbitrarily imposed solution - although there is that - but this whole "re-organisation" which goes along with "re-capitalisation" is, as far as my rather limited perception reaches, completely chaotic. I see law students running around trying to understand basic economic precepts while having Smithean notions (in the bad sense of the term) lodged into their heads so that they're sure to recognise the omnipotence of "Say's Law".

This whole program of restoring the banks as some sort of functioning force seems dubious in Ireland. There's a certain amount of ideology people just won't get beyond until they're pushed by something which challenges them. And this seems, in my opinion, to drive them to pursue extremely self-destructive economic policies while in government..... and here's the big point: the more I look at certain players in the international scene the more I ask the question: is this really unique?