[lbo-talk] Don Corleone buys the AIG family

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 3 16:00:54 PST 2009

Here is something that occurred to me this morning as I looked at the stock prices for AIG (0.43) and Citi (1.22).

Let's say Don Corleone had a few billion he didn't know what to do with. What would the Don do? He'd send Tom Hagen over to the AIG family and make them an offer they can't refuse. Let's say the AIG family was grateful for the Don's help.

Now let's say Don Sicco had a contract with the AIG family and he comes to call on Don Corleone. Don Sicco wants his money on a bet he lost and the AIG family said they would cover it. Don Sicco starts the the whole tragedy of his situation, the business, my boys, my mother, all my customrs,... Don Corleone listens patiently, then holds up his hand, no continererno la seminare, Don Sicco.

Don Corleone leans forward and says, I understand your situation Don Sicco. Let me help you. I'll buy you out for fifteen percent of what you're worth and we'll call it even. You can make a little profit, give your boys some spending money, and ... e finito, your out of the business. You can live a long life, maybe save something for your grandchildren.

Think it over. It's a good offer.

Carlo Grimaldi