[lbo-talk] IT innovation and "the Markets"

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 3 17:04:35 PST 2009

At 04:39 PM 3/3/2009, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>I have similar arguments with back-to-simplicity ecologists who fail
>to understand that the way technology is deployed under capitalism is
>not the only available method. They mistake the machine (broadly
>defined) for the abuse; remaining blind to the hand at the controls.

And here we can call for three cheers for the Luddites, who did understand the difference:

full at: http://campus.murraystate.edu/academic/faculty/kevin.binfield/luddites/LudditeHistory.htm

Few groups have been more misunderstood and have had their image and name more frequently misappropriated and distorted than the Luddites. The Luddites were not, as not only popularizers of theories of technology but also capitalist apologists for unregulated innovation claim, universally technophobes. The Luddites were artisans -- primarily skilled workers in the textile industries in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Cheshire, the West Riding of Yorkshire, Lancashire and Flintshire in the years between March 1811 and April 1817 -- who when faced with the use of machines (operated by less-skilled labor, typically apprentices, unapprenticed workers, and women) to drive down their wages and to produce inferior goods (thereby damaging their trades' reputations), turned to wrecking the offensive machines and terrorizing the offending owners in order to preserve their wages, their jobs, and their trades. Machines were not the only, or even the major, threat to the textile workers of the Midlands and North. The Prince Regent's Orders in Council, barring trade with Napoleonic France and nations friendly to France, cut off foreign markets for the British textile industry. Even more importantly, famine and high food prices required more of each laborer's shrinking wages. Machines and the use of machines to drive down wages were simply the most accessible targets for expressions of anger and direct action.

The Luddites were not the first or only machine wreckers. Because organized, large-scale strikes were impractical due to the scattering of manufactories throughout different regions, machine wrecking, which E. J. Hobsbawm calls "collective bargaining by riot," had occurred in Britain since the Restoration.

[...]