[lbo-talk] Villaraigosa thanks you for your continuing forgiveness

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 4 08:07:54 PST 2009

Even living here you could barely tell the city was set to elect a mayor.

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-villaraigosa4-2009mar04,0,6399777.story>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-villaraigosa4-2009mar04,0,6399777.story

March 4, 2009

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa secured a second four-year term in Tuesday's election.

[...]

With about half of the votes counted, Villaraigosa avoided a runoff against the second-place candidate, attorney Walter Moore.The mayor had been expected to secure the needed majority, given that he had appeared in television commercials for himself and two other campaigns -- and had outspent Moore by a ratio of 15 to 1.

Taking the stage shortly before 11 p.m. at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel downtown, Villaraigosa was greeted with a short burst of applause.

"I stand before you all humbled tonight, humbled by your support and by your confidence. I'm humbled by your continued trust and your continuing forgiveness," he said.

[...]