[lbo-talk] Time as socially constructed

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 4 18:57:59 PST 2009

Philip Pilkington wrote:

> Excellent essay on this, from one of the 20th centuries best historians.
>
> http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~salaff/Thompson.pdf

My eyesight doesn't allow me to read the PDF without spending a lot of time converting it to a Word file and expanding the font. But it so happens that that is one of the sources Postone cites in his discussion. He writes of it, "Thompson's article, which is rich in ethnographic and historical materiallll, is an excellent account of the changes in time apprehension, time measure, and the relation of labor and time concomitant with the development of industrial capitalism." (p. 201, n. 36. I agree with your estimation of Thompson.

Carrol