[lbo-talk] IT innovation and "the Markets"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 4 19:00:55 PST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 9:42 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> I'm curious how central planning can gauge demand and price.
> Seems to me markets do that fairly well.

There are a lot of misses in markets. Products flop. Managers spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to price things. They see what sells and what doesn't. Theoretically planners could do the same. Maybe practice is more complicated, but "markets" conceal a lot of messy behavior under a shiny image of a self-adjusting machine.

Doug