[lbo-talk] IT innovation and "the Markets"

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Thu Mar 5 07:03:38 PST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:00 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Maybe practice is more complicated, but "markets" conceal a lot of
> messy behavior under a shiny image of a self-adjusting machine.

I think Dwayne mentioned Bruce Sterling:

<http://www.deadmedia.org/notes/index-cat.html>

<http://www.deadmedia.org/modest-proposal.html>

"We need a book about the failures of media, the collapses of media, the supercessions of media, the strangulations of media, a book detailing all the freakish and hideous media mistakes that we should know enough now not to repeat, a book about media that have died on the barbed wire of technological advance, media that didn't make it, martyred media, dead media. THE HANDBOOK OF DEAD MEDIA. A naturalist's field guide for the communications paleontologist."

Best, Charles