[lbo-talk] negligible and stupid

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Mar 6 04:28:10 PST 2009

And don't forget Nixon was proposing national health insurance as well as a guaranteed annual income program (via a negative income tax) to replace welfare. Nixon's Justice Department successfully prosecuted many school desegregation cases in the South. And in terms of foreign policy, Nixon reestablished relations with China and pursued detente with the Soviet Union.

What was there for a movement conservative to like?

Jim F.

-- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

On Mar 5, 2009, at 4:16 PM, SA wrote:

> But movement conservatives never saw Nixon as one of their own.

No kidding. My first presidential votes, when I was a movement con back in 1972, were for John Ashbrook in the Rep primary and for John Schmitz in the general, because Nixon wasn't conservative enough. Wage & price controls, yikes!

____________________________________________________________ Learning Centers - Click Here. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTKNdRKI8uZ9rdFjTOigLQOLTUQk4gihQ84Mzc88rWELpfaAxId8ru/