[lbo-talk] IT innovation and "the Markets"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 6 12:45:30 PST 2009

SA wrote:
> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> You're setting up a straw man: no society has "planned a whole economy".
>
> Yes they have! Or at least they kept trying. It was called "central
> planning."
>
> In integrally-planned economies like the USSR and East Germany, the
> only unplanned sectors were those that sprang up and were tolerated or
> officially ignored because they were useful safety valves to
> compensate for the failures of the *plans*.
Okay, we're using different definitions of the "whole economy". I'm talking about the production, distribution, and consumption of all goods and services in a given society. Even in a capitalist society like the U. S., the "shadow" economy of household labor, charity work, church activities, etc. is about equal in economic value to the formal GDP. Thus if all of the economic activity currently conducted by private businesses were nationalized, about half of the economy (broadly defined) would be included in the central planning.

I stress this point for two reasons. First, a tremendous amount of the important economic activity in our society is not market based. Not coincidentally, women do much of this invisible economic work (child care, cooking, laundry, elder care, etc.). Pretending that this work is not part of our economy reinforces sexism ("she doesn't have a real job, she's just a housewife"). Second, the fact that all this nonmarket economic activity hums along in a purportedly capitalist society shows us that people can effectively organize economic activity without "price signals". All we need is people enculturated into a specific social system in which certain types of mutual aid are expected and socially sanctioned. Call me a dreamer, but if we can effectively produce about 50% of the total U. S. economy without price signals, why can't we produce 100% that way?

Miles