[lbo-talk] original cranky sixties guy

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 21:21:34 PST 2009

But Stephen King is a better writer than Donald Barthelme. I can't stand Stephen King, but DB was a joke. With Vollman Professor Williamson's point is perhaps better taken.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> [this is the article that inspired the Gawker post I just sent]
>
> <
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/05/AR2009030501541.html

"There is nary a student in the classroom -- and this goes for English majors, too -- who wouldn't pronounce Stephen King a better author than Donald Barthelme or William Vollmann. The students do not have any shame about reading inferior texts."