[lbo-talk] Request for comments on the new intro for my book

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 10:22:25 PST 2009

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Well, Marx analyzed capitalism at a very high level of abstraction: His
> aim, after all, was to identify those features of ccapitalism which
> would characterize _any_ particular form it might assume.

I would say that was a secondary concern. Not even that, actually. I don't think he wanted to anticipate forms it might assume, as that would be soothsaying and a kind of return to idealism. Marx analyzed at a very high level of abstraction because capitalism is very highly abstract. That seems pretty simple.