[lbo-talk] "IRA" Attacks on British Army Base.

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 11:48:08 PDT 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7930995.stm

Just the other day myself and a friend were arguing whether terrorist attacks would begin again in Northern Ireland due to the downturn. We concluded that such probably would be the case, but that these would be disparate and unorganised. Groups like the so-called Real IRA will have no problem drumming up support among disaffected, unemployed young men whose experience of the troubles is a folk history lesson from their Nationalist uncle. The big question though is will they be able to gain enough support to destabilise the peace process through, on the one hand, re-igniting Protestant-Catholic violence and, on the other, coercing the British government - with its newly acquired "intelligence-anti-terrorist complex" - into intervening in such a manner as would antagonise the civilian population. I said no, my friend said yes - I hope I wasn't wrong.