[lbo-talk] uh-oh

Doug Henwood dhenwood at PANIX.COM
Mon Mar 9 13:35:11 PDT 2009

Christina Romer, chair of Obama's CEA, earlier today: "I think people are perhaps seeing some light at the end of the tunnel."

<http://ehistory.osu.edu/vietnam/books/aiv/0028.cfm> In November [1967], as their plans gelled, General Westmoreland embarked on a whirlwind tour of the U.S. to testify before Congress and drum up support for the Johnson Administration. "With 1968," he said, speaking before the National Press Club in Washington, "a new phase is starting .. we have reached an important point where the end begins to come into view." In a televised news conference, he used the phrase "light at the end of the tunnel" to describe improved U.S. fortunes, repeating almost word-for-word a prognostication made by French General Henri Navarre in May of 1953.