[lbo-talk] it's over - now the destruction really begins

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 10 08:45:03 PDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 10:53 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> Where did you get that from? Have you actually read anything I've
> written on this?
>
> [WS:] From:
> To the ruling class,
> riots are just the downtrodden blowing off steam. The cops can take
> care of them. If they lead to systemic instability, or worse,
> revolution, that's another thing. But riots come and go.
>
> Doug
>

> I dot think that fascist movements that sprung in the aftermath of
> the great depression were just the downtrodden blowing off steam.

Context, man. I was responding to Patrick's evocation of IMF riots in the so-called South. They weren't really part of any political movement that threatened anything. They lasted a few days and were either repressed or just burned themselves out. Larger, sustained movements are obviously a different story entirely.

Doug