[lbo-talk] Big rise in cannabis factories

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 10 13:57:11 PDT 2009

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> > [WS:] Why don't they legalize the stuff? It would make perfect sense from
> > a capitalist point
> > of view, it would increase both profits and state revenue just as alcohol
> > and tobacco
> > sales do.) So if it is not capitalism, then what?
>
> Control. Simple as that. The Drug War is a boon for our increasingly
> militarized police; plus, you have to fill all that prison space. Those who
> say, "But drug revenues would help the economy, etc" always overlook this
> obvious point.

Yes. But WS is wrong when he says, "make perfect sense from a capitalist point of view, it would increase both profits." Profits motivate each specific enterprise. They do NOT motivate the "capitalist point of view," which is focused on maintaining the framework within which profit-making proceeds. Hence the importance of control, the irrelevance of the profits that particular capitalists would make were drugs legalized.

Carrol