[lbo-talk] "IRA" Attacks on British Army Base.

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 01:37:51 PDT 2009

I wasn't claiming that there need be large scale support for extremist Republican groups. I was saying just the opposite - namely, that these groups only need a few members to cause major headaches for politicians, the military and the civilian base at large. The subsequent attack on the police officer by what seems to have been a different group supports this hypothesis ( http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0310/craigavon.html). As for the boost to the Northern economy; that is completely contingent, based on the current exchange rate and will not last.

The major problem I'm alluding to regarding the new post-9/11 and 7/7 approach to counter-terrorism is that certain lobbies within certain British institutions will be pushing hard for involvement in any Republican, and perhaps even anti-Republican, violence. These guys have too much cash flow and not enough to do with it. Any chance to chase actual terrorists rather than kicking around with shepherds in the Tora Bora mountain range would surely get the bosses all hot and bothered. Apparently this is, in fact, being considered at the moment.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/MoD-names-soldiers-killed-in.5051798.jp

Security Minister Lord West said there would be a reassessment of the resources allocated to counter-terrorism in Northern Ireland in the light of the shootings.

Currently the Security Service, MI5, allocates 15% of its counter-terrorism budget to Northern Ireland.

"Inevitably when anything like this happens you look at it again," Lord West told reporters at a briefing in London.

He said that they had been aware for some time of the growing threat from splinter groups in the Province.

"It was a dreadful atrocity. These splinter groups we knew were forming," he said.