[lbo-talk] more Americans deny reality

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 11 16:55:10 PDT 2009

At 04:38 PM 3/11/2009, Dennis Perrin wrote:

>You mean, humans, right? As George Carlin put
>it, the Earth will be fine. It'll just shake us off like dandruff.
>
>Dennis

And Stephen Jay Gould says it's always been the Age of Bacteria:

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_bacteria.html

[....]

If we must characterize a whole by a representative part, we certainly should honor life's constant mode. We live now in the "Age of Bacteria." Our planet has always been in the "Age of Bacteria," ever since the first fossils­bacteria, of course­were entombed in rocks more than 3 billion years ago.

On any possible, reasonable or fair criterion, bacteria are­and always have been­the dominant forms of life on Earth. Our failure to grasp this most evident of biological facts arises in part from the blindness of our arrogance but also, in large measure, as an effect of scale. We are so accustomed to viewing phenomena of our scale­sizes measured in feet and ages in decades­as typical of nature.

Individual bacteria lie beneath our vision and may live no longer than the time I take to eat lunch or my grandfather spent with his evening cigar. But then, who knows? To a bacterium, human bodies might appear as widely dispersed, effectively eternal (or at least geological), massive mountains, fit for all forms of exploitation and fraught with little danger unless a bolus of imported penicillin strikes at some of the nasty brethren. Consider just some of the criteria for bacterial domination:

[....]