[lbo-talk] more Americans deny reality

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Mar 11 20:06:38 PDT 2009

At 9:21 PM -0400 11/3/09, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>But is this talk about drowned cities, burning forests, increased disease
>virulence, an even greater insect population (of all the nastiest sorts) and
>the rest of it helpful?

>You look up at the sky and it's blue on clear days and grey on rainy days.

People are dopey, but not that dopey, surely?

Sure, "talk about drowned cities, burning forests, increased disease virulence, an even greater (nasty) insect population" isn't helpful. Hardly anyone listens, people doubt.

But actually existing "drowned cities, burning forests, increased disease virulence, an even greater (nasty) insect population" are likely to have a different effect. Surely?

It will be too late then of course. (Wait a minute! We already have "drowned cities, burning forests, increased disease virulence, an even greater (nasty) insect population". So make that: it *is* too late already. We're fucked.)

But the point is, surely at this stage people aren't still looking up at a clear blue sky and saying "looks fine to me." Not in my neck of the woods they aren't. They are looking up at a clear blue sky and noting that we seem to be getting a lot less rainfall lately. And saying, "climate change."

Too fucking late to stop it now of course. Have to move those cities inland a few miles instead. And build domes over them. Though people haven't woken up to that yet.

But only the really dim-witted are still thinking, oh its a nice day today, so all's well with the world. I don't know anyone that stupid. Do you? Surely even Americans aren't that thick?

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas