[lbo-talk] more Americans deny reality

HMFJ hardwin1 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 12 05:09:26 PDT 2009

Writing from London, people *are *that dopey, here.

We're not at the stage yet where we feel climate change as a stomach-churning, sickening, suffocating imperative, the way a farmer whose crops fail because of drought will. We're still comfortably ensconced in our centrally heated homes with TVs and laptops and journeys to work in still mostly normal weather. Climate change activists are laughed at as "tree-huggers". (this is from the perspective of my workplace in a recruitment company, so a pretty conservative place but probably representative of a large swathe of opinion, tho more people are "getting it" all the time).

I just had an inchoate thought that a powerful lever to create the empathy (among northern consumers) for those who will be materially victims of climate change before us (i.e. people in the developing world), in ways which will affect their shelter, their food and water production and procurement - a lever which could help us be motivated to become activists for policy change on climate change - is going to be for people to get a sense of that kind of desiccating suffocation that will be experienced by normal, innocent people en masse. Partly because even if we can't relate to those peoples' situation (tho many can), we have a similar experience which can help us do so - the felt prospect of not being able to protect our future fulfilment of our desires for entertainment, for titillation, etc. That's the barely intimated feeling of impending existential suffocation we experience, here - which gives us an empathy which could be the basis of solidarity for those whose ability to live will similarly be suffocated, and precisely for those contingent desires we feel and express (i.e. climate change is created in large part by consumerism). In the face of this prospect of loss of livelihood, shelter, security, comfort, entertainment, we can be moved to reach out to each other, amongst each other for other forms, of society and politics, grounded in a different type of relating to the world than passive consumption, which are less prone to wreak these ill effects on all of us.

So those kinds of narratives, all of which are in prospect if not underway already - of farmers' crops failing, of forced migrations, of drying of lakes and forests, of flooding then droughts - of catastrophe attending already difficult existences in many cases because of the legacy of colonialism and current economic imperialism - those human narratives are the ones we need to put front and centre rather than the SF type ones or polar bears etc.