[lbo-talk] more Americans deny reality

Sheldon Baker humanist.observer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:33:39 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:
>> How many years left to save the planet?
>
> You mean, humans, right? As George Carlin put it, the Earth will be fine.
> It'll just shake us off like dandruff.
>
> Dennis

A couple of years ago I happened upon a Limbaugh program of him mocking the idea that humans could actually "destroy the earth". Which is technically correct if taken literally. There is not much we can do to the mass of rock called earth that is floating through space. But what we can do is destroy the climatic and ecological conditions upon which humans depend. Of course this is a little too complex for Limbaugh's audience who fixate on the terminology of "destroying the planet".