[lbo-talk] sex at the margins

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 12 14:02:45 PDT 2009

Knowing a few sex workers I'm not so sure there is this big distinction you believe exists. I know SOME strippers would be insulted if you asked them if they were escorts but I also believe the line between them can just as easily be rather blurry. The strippers I've known who would be offended if asked if they would perform sex acts were only offended that this particular person asked them. Some strippers I've known didn't have a problem with performing sex acts with the right clients. What they objected to was the attitude you are putting forth. That this is the lowest class of job available to someone, that they must be desperate for money and will therefore fuck anything waving a few bills in their direction. In other words they aren't offended by prostitution but by condescending BS attitudes. The escort I knew who was attending law school in Chicago was probably atypical but the ones I spent some time with in Montreal were probably very typical. They said they liked the work and didn't consider it humiliating at all. Some were proud of the skills they had learned. The ones I've met where I live are just the same. I have only recently come to know most of these sex workers through a friend who is a frequent client. My preconceptions of sex workers has been reinforced in some areas but blown away in others.

John Thornton