[lbo-talk] sex at the margins

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 12 15:35:17 PDT 2009

Chris Doss wrote:
> That's not my attitude. That's society's attitude. (Well, society's attitude is that they're either desperate for money, have serious psychological problems, are immoral scumbags, or some combination thereof.)
>

> --- On Thu, 3/12/09, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> What they objected to was the attitude you are putting
>> forth. That this is the lowest class of job available to
>> someone, that they must be desperate for money and will
>> therefore fuck anything waving a few bills in their
>> direction.

I don't mean your personal attitude but the attitude you're putting forth here. I have no idea what your personal attitude is. I disagree that this is "societies attitude". I don't think there is one specific overwhelming attitude in the US towards prostitution. I think American's are frequently selfish moralizing self-righteous pricks but I don't see anything close to a monolithic disdain for prostitution. I currently live in the lower Mid-west. One of the few states McCain won this last go 'round. A great many of my neighbours think they're Real Americans in a Sarah Palin sort-of-way and yet they don't have this attitude about prostitution. Nowhere I've lived have I ever seen this as the overwhelming attitude.

John Thornton