[lbo-talk] Politico: Second stimulus anathema on Capitol Hill

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:41:13 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Don't want to defend these jackasses too much, but the money hasn't
> really started flowing yet. It's a little premature to talk about a
> second stimulus.

Is it? You mean the first one might have been too much? We're at risk of having a rapid burst of inflationary growth? Better to err on the side of depression?

Congress works slowly. If a second stimulus does prove necessary, there will be more difficulty and delay getting it passed because of the "no mas" attitude now. (Instead of a "we stand ready" attitude.) I like Ron Wyden's comment: "How would we pay for it?" The attitude isn't "let's wait and see," it's "jeez, that was too 'expensive.'"

SA