[lbo-talk] USA and protests -or lack thereof-

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 13 18:43:49 PDT 2009

See the passage in Capital in which Marx notes that the English working class took several decades to recover from the shock of industrialization before their struggle for a shorter working day began. Misery does _not_ automatically trigger resistance ANY PLACE. That is one thing one can learn from reading books on the Chinese Revolution -- the absolute misery of much of the Chinese Peaantry and the incredible amount of work it took to get them to move. It's the same every place and it's really offensive to blame _any_ particular people as a people at any time or place. I know this doesn't apply to dennis, but for the most part those who complain about passivity are pretty much as shag describes in their relationship to any persistent effort to move people in a collective way.

Carrol