[lbo-talk] USA and protests -or lack thereof-

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Mar 14 09:07:11 PDT 2009

At 06:49 PM 3/13/2009, Dennis Perrin wrote:
>Shag, do you see serious ferment from below? I live in what should be the
>most militant area of the country. And there's nothing. Fear and
>depression appear more prevalent than any chance of political/social upheaval.

so? you've talked about your own depression. you write about your own fear. so what that other people feel the same way you do?

why don't you get involved and do something? what's stopping you? if you have better ideas, you certainly have to social capital and brain power to get the ball rolling. if you're pissed off, get out there on a street corner with a sign and start the rebellion.

your answers to those questions are probably the same ones others would give:

--i don't know where to start. --it's so overwhelming, where to begin? --no one else seems to care, what can i do? --these old hippies who shit dust are embarrassing. --i really don't like people all that much. --i'm not good at organizing. --i'm kind of anti-social --i don't have time. i have two kids, a job, and my husband/wife is working longer hours because of the economy. --i'm tired after a 9 hour day. --probably a bunch of no good commies that would protest anyway. --and lord, the anarchists. they should grow the fuck up.

> Plus, the liberals counsel patience with "their" president. It's frankly
> stunning.

i thought your earlier construction was interesting:

>This is why those pwogs who predict that Obama will face wrath from his
>left if he gives too much to the pigs are living in a dream world.

the pwogs, in this sentence, are sitting around and waiting for some "left" to do the heavy lifting.

I really don't give a rat's ass what you do with your time. your reasons for not participating in and trying to advance and radicalize already existing activists groups are, uh, to use a phrase, what they are. but if you allow yourself to escape the demand to get out there and do something, so as to be different than the passive "pwogs" who expect others to do the heavy lifting, then i think other people ought to be cut the same slack.

they afraid, angry, tired, and nursing migraines the same way you are.

shag

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws