[lbo-talk] USA and protests -or lack thereof-

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sat Mar 14 15:21:50 PDT 2009

This is not very sensible. Certainly those who already agree with you are those you must first aim to convince to join in agitation. But the greater aim of agitation itself is to argue a case to many more.

Otherwise, your strategy rises no higher than mere conspiracy.

But if you are engaged in public agitation, then obviously your aim is to persuade the public of something.

What's more, I am alarmed by your assertion that you believe people should be encouraged to engage in seemingly futile organising efforts. This would appear to be a terribly destructive idea. Especially combined with the strategy of only reaching out to the people who already agree with you.

Basically, it adds up to a strategy of reaching out solely to those who already agree with you and encouraging them to engage in an organising effort which you think will fail. This cannot but be destructive of morale, both your and theirs.

If this is what you do to your friends, it would be better to be your enemy.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas