[lbo-talk] Roubini, March 5

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Mar 14 17:29:03 PDT 2009

``I don't see where the fraud is. If you mean regular capitalist operations, it is a defense of capitalism to call them fraud. It lets capitalist relations off the hook and pretends that all would be well in the best of all possible worlds if only we could get rid of those scoundrels who are committing fraud. That is silly...''

The fraud mentioned was the ideological propaganda that wealth and prosperity were available to all, provided financial capital was allowed to play previously forbidden games.

The current crisis does not let captial relations off the hook. On the contrary, the crisis has exposed the whole complex artiface to public scrutiny. Sure market types celebrate the crude ponzi scheme frauds like Madeoff, but I am pretty certain the corporate elites and their center-left Democrat enablers are deeply worried that the entire armature of neoliberal capitalism will become exposed to the same harsh appraisals. Maybe not by the US public, but perhaps in Europe, Latin America and perhaps Asia.

CG