[lbo-talk] The real problem: public sector unions!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 14 18:22:23 PDT 2009

On Mar 14, 2009, at 7:21 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> I'm not exactly sure what to make of this or where it's coming from.
>
> http://ecoworld.com/blog/2008/10/07/abolish-public-employee-pensions/
>
> But: it's a bold new idea :-)

No, don't know where it's coming from, but I'm really not sure about this:

"the average government worker in California often earns 2-4x what globalized private sector workers earn to do jobs of comparable worth"

First, the assumption that the private sector wage is somehow correct, and the public sector wage is inflated, is based on a lot of unexplored assumptions, like the notion that the private sector worker can't be underpaid. And second, public sector workers are, on average, more educated than private sector workers, so the wage premium may simply reflect that.

Doug