[lbo-talk] The real problem: public sector unions!

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Mar 14 18:49:05 PDT 2009

Doug writes:

> I'm really not sure about this:
>
> "the average government worker in California often
> earns 2-4x what globalized private sector workers
> earn to do jobs of comparable worth"
>
> First, the assumption that the private sector wage is somehow
> correct ...

I'm not sure he's saying it's "correct" -- just that a) it's (very) different; and b) that causes a disconnect of solidarity.

> ... and the public sector wage is inflated ...

He could just as easily be making the point that the private sector is subject to forces that have kept it below "correct" -- you've even made this claim before -- but the fact that the public sector has avoided those pressures has caused a split between two groups of workers.

> public sector workers are, on average, more educated than
> private sector workers ...

... for "jobs of comparable worth" ...?

I'm not saying he has the numbers to back that up -- I mean, what's of "comparable worth" to a clerk at the DMV? -- but I think he's already factored in your question.

The interesting thing, to me at least, is that he says that voting-block pressure -- when your boss is a politician -- is stronger than whatever pressure (possible strikes?) the private sector has against the boss. And, according to him, it has worked. In spades.

/jordan