[lbo-talk] more Americans deny reality

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Mar 14 20:42:38 PDT 2009

I personally think the "anti-intellectual" current he is healthy in many ways. If you look at European intellectuals (I studied humanities in the UK, incidentally) the most famous are monumental frauds and as hostile to science and reason as any religious fanatic (Cf. Intellectual Impostures/Fashionable Nonsense by Jean Birchmont and Alan Sokal). As a libertarian myself, I say question all claims of authority. In some cases they are justified in other not. But in the case of liberal intellectuals almost invariably not--find my a French intellectual taking responsibility for any of Europes present imperial crimes or the legalized persecution of Muslims, e.g.

It's true that a bit more is done re: climate change in Europe than the US and this is significant. But it's not aparent the academy can justly take credit. More likely its direct action groups like Cimate Camp who who deserve it. It's true too that there's more religious extremism here than other parts of the Western world. But it's not apparent that legislating against religion (as in France) does anything but exacerbate the problem. And remember that the religious fanatics who ended up here, such as my Puritan ancestors, in many cases came immigrated to escape persecution in Europe. Like it or not, I think a religion should be tolerated as far as it does not endager others not part of it. E.g., fight for environmental legislation against what ever opponents religious or otherwise but don't attack the religion in question or religion in general directly. And in the actual (non-hypothetical) case of climate change, here in the US, Evangelical Christians are in fact among the most proactive as they are re: US imperial crimes against humanity.

-Peter