[lbo-talk] questions on greenhouse gas emissions - for Doug or anyone else

ehrbar ehrbar at lists.econ.utah.edu
Sun Mar 15 12:07:08 PDT 2009

> How is the data gathered and assessed for tax/market purposes - is it
> strictly related to fossil fuel consumption?

One can either do it upstream -- where the fossil fuel enters the economy (since it is known how much carbon each kind of fuel generates) or downstream, where the carbon enters the atmosphere, or midstream (gasoline wholesalers). Upstream seems much simpler and better, but the Western Climate Initiative is looking at a downstream or midstream scheme. If you ask them why, the answer is that the big utilities are already regulated, if you go to the mines and oil wells, then the Public Service Commission has no jurisdiction, etc. I think the real reason is that an upstream scheme will raise prices and constant capital for more capitalists, and the utilities don't want to give up their regulatory capture.

Hans.