[lbo-talk] Buffett says US is in an 'economic war'

Politicus E. epoliticus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:48:42 PDT 2009

>From the Associated Press:

> WASHINGTON — A top presidential adviser says the U.S. is in an "economic
> war" — one that is not being won yet.
>
> Economic aide Christina Romer says she agrees with investment mogul Warren
> Buffett, who used the "economic war" phrase last week to describe the
> nation's economic woes.
>
> In Romer's words, "We haven't won yet. We have staged a wonderful battle."
>
> Romer heads the president's Council of Economic Advisers. She says the
> White House believes the fundamentals of the economy are strong. Romer says
> the administration is looking at the long-term view, not the daily ups and
> downs on Wall Street.
>
> Romer also says it is premature to talk about a second economic stimulus
> package that some Democratic allies are seeking.
>
> Romer appeared on NBC's "Meet the Press."

If the US is engaged in an "economic war" then, pray tell Mr. Buffett, who are the belligerents? Financial capitalists, industrial capitalists, 'small business,' and elements of the working class? Is your 'economic war' perhaps a class war?

I often find myself entertained when right-wing pundits accuse their political opponents of class war. Let us affirm that we are engaged in a class war when they make such charges.