[lbo-talk] Verizon fraud

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 09:03:44 PDT 2009

[WS:] I do not particularly object to data mining - not that I like it, but every company does that and there is not much one can do about it. It is not much different from the old practice of salespeople remembering their customers - in both cases information about customers is retained in some form by the salespeople for future use.

What bothers me is unauthorized charges for services that I did not order. At some point my account is being charged for some shit that don't even know exists. This is like a pickpocket stealing my money or a gas station attendant charging my credit card for something I did not order. If a guy on a subway station or a sales clerk can go to jail for doing that, why do not the same applies to corporate schmucks? I know that all telecoms do that, as well as some subscription services, but Verizon seems particularly aggressive about it. I also heard that AT&T is pretty bad too.

Wojtek