[lbo-talk] Notes on an Orientation to the Obama Presidency

Adrian Doerr doerradr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:18:38 PDT 2009

i had the same experience with this article--it got bounced my way a couple of times--and i have to agree that there just doesn't seem to be that much here. and, frankly, some of the diagnosis is just plain wrong--i'm only going to poorly echo some of the things Jenny pointed out--but, really, how can this article assert that Obama:

" Wrenched the Democratic Party out of the clammy grip of Clintonian centrism. (Although he himself often leads from the center, Obama’s center is a couple of notches to the left of the Clinton administration’s triangulation strategies);"

as it's been pointed out over and over (and Mike Davis points this out in his newest NewLeftReview piece)--so many of the key figures Obama has surrounded himself with are seasoned Clinton-ites--how can the same people somehow yield a different result than "Clintonian centrism"? and what are these "couple of notches to the left"? if this is one of the key pieces of "evidence", its painfully lacking. especially when the admin is bending over backwards trying to everythingn it can to NOT piss off the business community--sounds a lot like clinton-ism to me.

and then there's this nugget of wisdom:

"Obama did what the center would not do and what a fragmented and debilitated left could not do. He broke the death grip of the reactionary right by inspiring and mobilizing millions as agents of change. If Obama doesn’t manage to do even one more progressive thing over the course of the next four years, he has already opened up far more promising political terrain."

all i can say is "huh". so if i'm reading this right, Obama emerges not out of the center, the right or the left. again, the post-political myth of Obama. "death grip of the reactionary right?" it seems like since about 2005 (and maybe even earlier than that) the reactionary right has been steadily losing its credibility and its hold over political direction/discourse--hence the democratic win in 2006--again, not much evidence here--if anything, it's the same platitudes repeated about the Obama campaign using the same vague language that it itself excels at.

maybe it's me, but i don't see how an electoral result corresponds to practical political change--and if what this campaign has supposedly done is empower people to be "agents of change"--this article misses the mark in articulating how these agents have been/are mobilized in actually producing political/economic change--or possible avenues for exploring these routes.

but enough about this. i need to go make some soup. --ad