[lbo-talk] newspapers and the O team

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Mar 18 20:49:26 PDT 2009

Just a note of support for newspapers.

They form the foundation or platform on which the rest of the news media is built.

And, we have as far as I remember one the best news environments ever. I don't want to see any of it go bye-bye. I can read a smattering of east coast press, google the background, wonder around for alternate views, and savor some of the LBO takes...

Which brings me to LBO. It is essentially a news discussion list.

First example. When the US media blacked themselves out over the Israeli invasion of Gaza, it took a little work including asking LBO for suggestions, to get somekind of accurate view of that mini-war. I assembled the picture from Palestinian sites with almost live coverage, some eye witness essays on InGaza, Juan Cole, Al Jazeera, and a few BBC reports. It became a virual Gaza City gazette. But as usual, there were missing pieces, like the Hamas officials who went underground to avoid Israeli assassinations, and Hamas militias doing the fighting.

There wasn't much discussion on LBO, because there was little to argue or discuss. But the list missed the key story. Israel committed suicide.

Now there is the AIG story and threads on Dodd.

Note to team Obama. The financial guys got their billions by being unprincipled motherfuckers of supreme arrogance and adacity. They call this confidence. As the Swedish finance official said:

``We were a no-bullshit investor - we were very brutal...''

Team Obama, you just got bitch slapped. This is first blood. You either take them down or eat shit like a crippled begger in a third world slum. Your move.