[lbo-talk] Is Obama Running Interference to Protect Bankers'Pay?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Mar 22 12:49:24 PDT 2009

Eubulides wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but in the absence of any reasonably cohrent and visible left movement (marxists or otherwise) I am seriously worried about the forms new social movements might take. Especially, as I think is very possible, the present crisis should mutate into hyperinflation.

Yesterday after our local demo, I had a short conversation with a woman that has me concerned. At the very end of our rather small demo, as the last speaker ended, she stepped forward with some statement about the current crisis, and I stepped over to chat. (My poor hearing interfred somewhat.) As I under stood her, she had a complex of problems. She had been injured in an accident with a drunken driver and was in more or less constant back pain; she had (Ithink she said this) had her home forclosed. And she was angry at the bankers. BUT --

She was angriest of all at two disturbing categories:

a) Those who pretended to be sick and used up all the money intended for the poor

b) those illegal --ILLEGAL-- (her emphasis really) aliens who were taking up all the jobs that poor people could get.

I edged about the topics for a minute or two, hoping to get a handle, but gave up, commiserateed with her, and went away hoping that perhaps some other day a better conversation could be held.

Illegal immigrants could well be the focus of a pretty vicious social movement. And some invented new category of cheating poor people would just be frosting on such a sour cake.

Carrol