[lbo-talk] US 2009 = USSR 1990

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 09:43:33 PDT 2009

[WS:] The problem is that the change that you are describing almost never occurs by spontaneous social movement - it requires a catastrophic event that will wipe out the elite hegemony, such as a war, foreign occupation or a total economic meltdown. Think of Russia in 1917, or China & Europe after WW2. Or even US in 1929 - economic meltdown coupled with elites legitimately fearing Communism.

The US of A today is not in a similar situation, not even close. The elites may have gotten some of their feathers ruffled, but they still maintain their hegemonic position quite firmly, and there is nothing comparable to Communism of the early 20th century that they can fear.

So actually it does take a catastrophic event to bring social change - not to mobilize the masses as many Leftists erroneously think, but to break the backbone of the ruling class and make them unable to resist the change.

Wojtek