[lbo-talk] Is Obama Running Interference to ProtectBankers' Pay?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 23 11:15:56 PDT 2009

SA wrote:

> Or more specifically - why not be for fascism or apartheid, Miles?
> You're not, but why not? Can you provide any reasons at all?
>
> SA
This question illustrates my point: it is common sense in our society for call on people to justify their actions/positions by appealing to moral/ethical principles. The question--and any responsive answer--reinforces the capitalist ideology that social formations (e.g., fascism) are the result of the psychological characteristics of the individuals involved. ("If only the Germans had high moral standards--" is more or less equivalent to "If only the poor had a good work ethic".) Instead of asking questions like the one above, I think it's much more enlightening to ask, as Nietzsche did: How does moral discourse reinforce power relations?

Miles