[lbo-talk] Looking for statistics on Speculative versus Real Stock investment (?)

moose at riseup.net moose at riseup.net
Mon Mar 23 12:09:24 PDT 2009

Hi all.

So over the years I've heard from various secondhand sources the "fact" that the majority of all that volume traded on wall street is merely speculative, rather than real wealth (i.e., wealth that is immediately used to build capacity, buy machines, build factories, etc).

(And is this Marx's famous "Fictitious Capital")?

So Im looking for actual and current studies and statistics on this subject. What are the actual numbers, and all that.

Any links or stories you can point me to would be much appreciated!

Thanks!