[lbo-talk] Is World De-Population a Problem?

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 05:58:21 PDT 2009

--- On Wed, 3/25/09, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Is World De-Population a Problem?
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
> Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 7:45 AM
>
> How would one go about substantiating the claim that "that
> all organisms breed to the limit of their available
> resources", anyway?

[WS:] I think this is quite tangential to his argument. If I understand him correctly, he argues that declining population may produce permanent economic crisis. An that seems to have some validity, given the current practices of managing capitalist economy. To keep profit rates from falling, capitalism must constantly expand, and that expansion is financed by debt and deficit spending. This can be conceptualized as capitalist colonization of the future generation i.e. future generation paying for current consumption levels that maintain capitalist profitability. But if the future generation is declining and thus unable to pay, this whole scheme collapses like a house of card, or shall I say, an investment scheme.

If this interpretation is correct, it is yet another indication of unsustainability of capitalism (i.e. production for a profit rather than use value.)

Wojtek