[lbo-talk] My Aristotle rant, was: Re: Glenn Beck breaks down in tears, blubbers on-air AGAIN

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 19:11:09 PDT 2009

I was addressing Ted, not you. :)

But but but... that wasn't really my point. The Greeks and pre-Christians in general did not define "being a happy person" (Diogenes notwithstanding; we're speaking generally) with one's internal "feelings" at all. The Christians defined it as being related positively to God (again, not a subjective state -- often in fact in contradiction to that state). The run-of-the-mill post- or late-Christian (let's be honest -- everybody in the modern Western world is a Christian in their fundamental outlook, especially and most amusingly Carrol Cox) views it as "experiencing pleasurable sensations."