[lbo-talk] software question

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 27 12:32:09 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 11:13 AM 3/27/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >You can't know everything Doug. Admit to ignorance in areas you
> haven't
> >done any reading in.
> >
> >Carrol
>
> I just got my dvd of all 116 issues of Left Business Observer (highly
> recommended) and if you read those Doug admits ignorance all the
> time, beginning with the introductory letter to the collection.
>
> p.s.--- the Henwood/Cox sparring match *is* entertaining.

I have all the issues too. Doug admits ignorance in areas in which he knows a hell of a lot. It's in the areas he _hasn[t_ studied (because too busy mastering the material for Left Business Obserrver, his radio show, and his books probably) that he is afraid to admit ignorance. He can't admit, for example, that he really knows very little about what Lenin has to say on anything: his remarks on Lenin regularly reveal thrid or fourth hand acquaintance. And, as I said in the preceding post, he probably really does think (out of ignorance) that my ideas are original with me, that it is some weird aberration to question whether ethics have any transhistorical foundation. Like another famous social democrat, Doug is at risk of being viewed as philosophically naive by the philsophically naive.

Carrol