[lbo-talk] "The US did not choose to fight a war in Afghanistan"!

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 28 11:39:11 PDT 2009

True enough. Obama has enough trust in his own rhetorical abilities that he thinks he can occasionally tell the truth and get away with it. That's the source of the talk-radio meme that he has occult powers of hypnosis...

When Obama first proposed himself as president, popular opinion made little distinction between the war in Iraq and Afghanistan (it was against it). Neither did elite policy, for different reasons (it was for it). Obama's audition for the job ("Audacity of Hope") asserted that he could sell the latter to the former.

Here in Illinois and eventually elsewhere, Obama rallied the anti-war vote to his candidacy and neutralized it (as the Democrats had been trying to do in 2004 and 2006). His co-option was so successful that even the term is now not understood. --CGE