[lbo-talk] Anarchist Cookbook 2?

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 15:15:51 PDT 2009

[WS:] What I had I mind was something slightly different - namely using the means that avoid direct confrontations with the security apparatus. Such confrontations, e.g. picket lines, demos, or riots are largely ineffective, even if large numbers of people show up (which is seldom the case.) Direct confrontations typically have the opposite effect by making calls for "law and order" more legitimate in general population. Needless to say that modern technology can make direct confrontation very costly to protesters, giving the security apparatus a huge advantage.

The modern institutional order exists largely by "implied consent" of the general population i.e. people nilly-willy acquiescing to the authority of private corporations and government agencies over different aspects of their private lives. Therefore, what I had in mind was tactics that rely on withdrawal of that "implied consent" and a refusal to cooperate while avoiding direct confrontations. Sort of 21st century Gandhism, if you will.

For example, massive calling-in sick or slow down, instead of going on strike and picking up fights with goons and cops. Or mass refusal to pay any debt (credit card, mortgage), coordinated boycotts, "buy-nothing" days, etc. Such refusals to go along are of course nothing new and have been practiced around the world - but the knowledge of these tactics is scattered. What I had in mind was creating a central repository of this knowledge, available to everyone with internet access.

Wojtek