[lbo-talk] AIG crisis could be tip of an insurance iceberg

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:31:44 PDT 2009

A somewhat similar phenomenon seems to have happened in Ireland. From what I'm hearing the "Credit Unions" - organisations which were set up to provide the so-called under-privileged with credit under so-called normal circumstances - tried, for various reasons, to play the market game.

The whole system, like most public institutions, was corrupt, and they gladly handed the surplus of funds which they gained during boom time over to the speculators/stock-brokers in order, presumably, to increase bonuses. Needless to say, it didn't work out. But it makes you ask the question: how deep does this go? My guess is: very!