[lbo-talk] My Aristotle rant, was: Re: Glenn Beck breaks down in tears, blubbers on-air AGAIN

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 21:50:07 PDT 2009

> Sadly, perhaps, I was raised by a Geertzian anthropologist. This is
> Geertz'
> expression of, I believe, the contemporary anthropological position on
> immutables:

I don't know if I should be simplistic about this, or more complex... Okay, I'll try both:

(1) Simplistic: 2 + 2 = 4. There's nothing anthopological about that. Every culture eventually... immutably developed that.

(2) Simplistic: Basic emotions. Neither is there anything anthropological about that. Every culture shows aspects of "envy", "attachment", "hatred", "sorrow", "totem", "taboo" etc.

(3) Complex: Whatever happened to our civilisation we show very specific traits that travel right through. I named some of them in the last proposition but I'll give one that we certainly created, and without any recourse to Reason: Love. That's a weird one. Its sort of like: "Totem" + "Attachment" if we want to be terribly immutable.