[lbo-talk] life after newspapers

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 31 07:54:57 PDT 2009

At 07:38 AM 3/31/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>I'm not really all that familiar with Foucault, but have always
>considered him a better writer of intellectual gothic horror S&M
>fetish novels than a sociologist or historian. ;)

That's so funny I forgot to laugh.

>I don't think it's particularly Marxist

Even though you just said you're not really all that familiar with it. Go head on though.

>Miles makes it sound like society has some kind of internal,
>perfectly functioning, feedback mechanism, that operates on all
>levels, that preserves power relations automatically. It's not true.

Maybe that's what it sounds like to you but I don't get that from it at all. To me the Miles you present doesn't ring any truer to what he's writing than what you have to say about Foucault has to do with his writings.