[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 31 12:06:21 PDT 2009

Zizek is almost too kind to multiculturalism,Diversity, etc. The coining of these terms marks the gravestone on the Black Liberation Movement of the '60s. That movement having been stopped (mostly by murder, e.g., of Hampton) and other repressive measures, partly by granting of minimally necessary demands an the consequent creation of a black "middle class" with interests of their own independent of Black Liberation, a polite replacement was needed to sop up or isolate any remaining serious struggle gainst racism. Multicultralism did the trick.

Carrol